Personally, I LOVE the metallic shorts look but they're not easy to pull off. They can very simply end up looking trashy or overdone. Below, three ways to wear these courtesy of Carrie Underwood, Mila Kunis and Shantel VanSanten.
First of all, all three of these girls are so gorgeous they'd look good in anything! To do metallic shorts, I think you have to have a certain body shape to really pull it off. With the above look on Shantel VanSante, the only thing I would do differently is either tuck the shirt in completely or leave it out. I'm so not feeling the whole just-rolled-out-of-bed half-out trend with blouses. I'm not sure about the shoes either, I think this would have worked better with a black or silver sandal. Other than that, love it!
I absolutely LOVE this outfit! Everything about it (which is why I added matches for everything including the ponytail lol). Leg warmers can be tricky to pull off, too but they look awesome with this. This is an outfit I'd definetly try and re-make myself! And I almost did but it would've been too dressy for where I was going.
I think just about every fashion blog on the net has re-done this outfit. I'm not sure how I feel about it, it's cute but I'm not feeling the blazer. A more fitted one would have worked better on her I think. It covers up her shape too much. But still a cute outfit!
Metallic Shorts : DOs
- Do pair with tights! The shorts Carrie has on above or shimmery black shorts would work well with black tights.
- Do wear with heels! I can't see these type of shorts working with anything other than heels or maybe patent flats.
- Do try and stick with the basic colors. Silver, gold, black, white, gray. I've seen some cute blue ones and green ones but generally, it's safer to work around basic colors.
Metallic Shorts : DONTs
- Don't wear booty shorts! Unless you're a dancer in costume, don't even attempt the tight spandex-y metallic booty shorts. I promise it won't work lol
- Don't pair with any kind of printed tights or leggings
- Don't mix tops and bottoms! If you're going to wear metallic or sequin shorts, make sure your top half is a matte color. No shine or sequins on top. It's too much.
- Don't go casual. Unless they're gym shorts, don't try and make a casual outfit with these. They are meant to be dressy.
I don't like Amanda's look at all. With the matching blazer, it's too much and she looks uncomfortable. The shorts with a solid black top would have worked better. With the booties and buttoned blazer, Gwyneth looks like she forgot half of her outfit. Had she paired it with sandals, it would have looked a million times better!
Bloggers Who Got It Right